Navigating the Form I-129F: A Step-by-Step GuideForm I-129F Instructions, How to Fill Out

Form I-129F is used to petition for a foreign fiancé(e) to come to the United States and marry the petitioner within 90 days of arrival. The form is also known as the “Petition for Alien Fiancé(e).” Here are Form I-129F instructions on how to fill out the form:

  • Download the Form:
    • Obtain the latest version of Form I-129F and its instructions from the USCIS website.
  • Read the Instructions:
    • Carefully read the instructions provided with the form. These instructions provide guidance on how to complete each section.
  • Complete the Form:
    • Start by providing your personal information as the petitioner.
    • Provide information about your fiancé(e) in the appropriate sections.
    • Include information about any children if applicable.
    • Be accurate and honest in providing information. Any false information can lead to serious consequences.
  • Prepare Supporting Documents:
    • Review the list of required supporting documents in the instructions.
    • These documents may include evidence of your U.S. citizenship, evidence of the relationship, and other supporting materials.
  • Gather Required Signatures:
    • Sign the form in the designated areas.
    • If someone helped you fill out the form, that person must also sign it.
  • Check for Correct Filing Fee:
    • Verify the filing fee and include the correct payment method (check or money order) payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  • Mail the Form:
    • Check the USCIS website for the correct filing address based on your location.
    • Mail the completed form and supporting documents to the appropriate address.
  • Receive a Notice of Action:
    • After USCIS receives your petition, you will receive a Notice of Action (Form I-797) acknowledging receipt.
  • Wait for USCIS Processing:
    • USCIS will process your petition, which may take several months. Check the USCIS website for current processing times.
  • NVC and U.S. Embassy/Consulate:
    • If USCIS approves the petition, it will be forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC) and then to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where your fiancé(e) will apply for a K-1 visa.
  • Interview and Visa Approval:
    • Your fiancé(e) will attend a visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If

What is the Family Preference Category?

The Family Preference Category is a classification system used by the United States government for family-based immigration. It is part of the family-sponsored immigration system, which allows U.S. citizens and permanent residents to sponsor certain family members for immigration to the United States. The Family Preference Category is divided into four preference groups, each assigned a numerical preference:

  • First Preference (F1): Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens
    • This category includes unmarried sons and daughters (21 years of age or older) of U.S. citizens. The U.S. citizen petitioner must be at least 21 years old to sponsor a child in this category.
  • Second Preference (F2): Spouses, Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters (Aged 21 and Over) of Permanent Residents
    • This category is divided into two subcategories:
      • F2A: Spouses and unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents.
      • F2B: Unmarried sons and daughters (21 years of age or older) of permanent residents.
  • Third Preference (F3): Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens
    • This category includes married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
  • Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and Sisters of Adult U.S. Citizens
    • This category includes brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, provided that the U.S. citizen petitioner is 21 years of age or older.

The Family Preference Category is subject to numerical limitations, and the availability of visas can impact the processing times for each preference group. Visa numbers are allocated based on a quota system, and there are limits on the number of visas that can be issued in each category per fiscal year.

It’s important to note that immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parents) are not subject to numerical limitations and are not part of the Family Preference Category. They have a separate and more favorable immigration process.

Family-sponsored immigration is a complex area of U.S. immigration law, and the waiting times for visa availability can vary. Individuals seeking to sponsor family members should consult the U.S. Department of State’s Visa Bulletin and may benefit from consulting with an immigration attorney for personalized advice.

Marriage Green Card – Checklist, Forms and Processing Time

Obtaining a Marriage Green Card, officially known as a Permanent Resident Card through marriage, involves a multi-step process. Please note that immigration processes can change, and it’s essential to check the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website or consult with an immigration attorney for the most up-to-date information. Here is a general checklist for the Marriage Green Card process:

1. Determine Eligibility:

  • Ensure that you are eligible for a Marriage Green Card. Generally, this is available to spouses of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents.

2. Marriage:

  • Ensure that the marriage is legally valid and recognized. If the marriage occurred outside the U.S., make sure it is recognized under U.S. immigration law.

3. Petition Filing:

  • The U.S. citizen spouse must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.
  • Include all required supporting documents, such as proof of the petitioner’s citizenship, marriage certificate, and other relevant evidence.

4. USCIS Processing:

  • USCIS will review the petition. If approved, it will be forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC).

5. Affidavit of Support:

  • The U.S. citizen petitioner must submit Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, demonstrating financial ability to support the immigrant spouse.

6. Visa Application:

  • Once the petition is approved, the immigrant spouse can apply for an immigrant visa through the U.S. Department of State.

7. Consular Processing or Adjustment of Status:

  • The immigrant spouse can either go through consular processing (if outside the U.S.) or file for Adjustment of Status (if already in the U.S.).

8. Medical Examination:

  • The immigrant spouse must undergo a medical examination by an approved panel physician.

9. Biometrics Appointment:

  • Attend a biometrics appointment to provide fingerprints and other necessary information.

10. Interview:

  • Attend an interview with USCIS to determine the validity of the marriage and eligibility for the Green Card.

11. Conditional Green Card (if applicable):

  • If the marriage is less than two years old at the time of approval, the immigrant spouse may receive a Conditional Green Card.

12. Removal of Conditions (if applicable):

  • File Form I-751 to remove the conditions on the Green Card within the 90 days before the expiration date.

Processing Time:

  • Processing times can vary but can take several months. Check the USCIS website for current processing times.

Important Tips:

  • Keep copies of all forms, supporting documents, and correspondence.
  • Stay informed about any updates or changes in immigration laws and procedures.

Related Articles

Back to top button