What is Face Serum?
You take special care of your skin, and also follow a daily skincare routine. From cleansing to toning and also moisturizing the skin. But have you ever used a face serum for your skin? Have you ever thought about how and why it is important for your skin? Face Serum is as important and beneficial to our daily skin routine as everything else related to skin care. Today we know about face serum in this article.
Why is a serum important for you?
young woman applying serum in the bathroom
Face serum brings great results for those who are suffering due to anti-aging, dark spots, hyperpigmentation, acne, clogged pores, dehydration . Today we understand the important reasons here –
- To reduce dark spots: Daily UV rays make our skin lifeless and colorless. In such a situation, the face serum contains pure glycolic acid, which makes the skin glowing and also gives a new complexion. After two weeks of using it daily, you will know that the dark spots on your face have started reducing. And after four weeks, fine lines and wrinkles also start reducing.
- To give glow to lifeless skin: With ageing, our skin starts losing its luster. In such a situation, face serum becomes necessary for the skin, which cleans the skin and works to bring back the glow . Many serums have golden micro-reflectors, which illuminate the look of the skin and give a youthful skin through cell renewal.
- For anti-aging: If you want a great anti-aging product for yourself, then you should use a face serum for that. For anti-aging, you should opt for a hydrating serum containing hyaluronic acid. This face serum gives a youthful look to your skin as well as removes your wrinkles. In a research conducted by The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, it became clear that face serum plays an important role in reducing fine lines and wrinkles  on the face. You will start seeing the difference only after two to three weeks of use. Some face serums that come with vitamin C are also best for anti-aging.
- Supports Moisture and Volume: As you age, your skin tends to lose moisture and volume. Especially on the cheeks and under the eyes, using a face serum containing hyaluronic acid works for volume and moisture retention in these areas of the face. For this, you have to take 2-3 drops of face serum on the fingers and apply it all over the face. Make sure to keep applying it until it is completely absorbed.
- To remove acne: Face serums play an important role in the care of acne-prone skin. They contain benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, which gradually reduce and disappear acne.
- To exfoliate the skin: By now you must have come to know that exfoliating the skin is an important part of the skin care routine. For this you also use face scrub but face serum gives better results than face scrub. It contains lactic acid and folic acid, which surface and give a smooth feel and even tone to the skin.
- To hydrate the skin: If your skin is feeling dry and lifeless, it means that you need something other than moisturizer. Instead of relying on your own face cream, you can use a hydrating face serum to bring back moisture  to your dry skin. For this, you should apply a hydrating serum containing hyaluronic acid to wet skin so that the skin can get more hydrogen!
What kind of serum should I take?
Dermatologist with the organic natural product in the laboratory research
There are many types of serums available in the market, which are made to correct fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots, lifeless skin etc. Before choosing a great face serum for yourself, you should keep the following things in mind-
- Skin Type: You must know your skin type. Also, what kind of ingredients are going into your skin. You do not want your skin to be dry and you are using a face serum which is making your skin more dry.
- Skin related problems: Before taking any face serum, you should think about why you want to buy face serum? Do you want to use a face serum to reduce wrinkles or those dark spots that have started appearing on your face due to the strong sunlight.
These are the ingredients you should have in your face serum –
- Hydrates like ceramides act like cement for the skin and prevent water from leaking out of the skin. That means keeping your skin hydrated.
- Anti-oxidants like vitamin C and grape seed extract protect the skin from damage caused by sunlight. Also, fight the signs of aging.
- Anti-inflammatories such as zinc, arnica and goldenseal help relieve skin redness and protect against cell damage caused by inflammation.
- Plant-based ingredients like licorice help to lighten skin tone and lighten dark spots.
How to use Serum?
woman holding cosmetic serum pipette
Now that you know how using a face serum can bring life to our lifeless skin, it is also important to know how to apply the serum in a good way so that it can get maximum benefit from it. The right way to apply face serum for you –
- To protect your skin from any kind of dirt, dust, excess oil or impurities, you should clean your skin with a cleanser.
- You should take 2 drops of the serum of your choice on your fingertips and apply a thin layer massaging it into the skin so that it gets absorbed well into your skin.
- After using the face serum, you should apply your favorite eye cream around the eyes.
- Any skin care routine is incomplete without a moisturizer. Especially during the day time when you are applying face serum. So, don’t forget to apply a good moisturizer after the face serum.
- It is important to wear a sun screen of SPF 30 or more during the day to avoid sunlight.
- Face Serum can be applied both day and night. After cleansing the skin, face serum should be applied and pat dry. If you are applying the serum at night, be careful not to layer too much. Night cream or moisturizer creates a heavy layer. Therefore, apply only one thing in the night, either serum or moisturizer.
Serum Makeup Hacks
- Serum is very easy to use, but you must do a patch test before applying it on your face. Maybe the serum you bought doesn’t suit your skin.
- One of the basic mantra of using serum is to use serum in small quantity. Serum contains potent ingredients, so it should not be used in large quantities. Using it in excess can cause skin irritation.
- Cleansing the skin is the first step in any kind of skin care routine. Hence, your skin should be cleansed even before applying the serum.
- Those with dry skin should apply the serum only on wet skin as it penetrates well in moist skin.
- Those with sensitive skin should wait for their skin to become dry. Otherwise, it will slow down the penetration of the serum, which can lead to skin irritation.
Benefits Of Face Serum
There are many such benefits of face serum which you will know only if you keep using it continuously for a few days. Some of these benefits are as follows –
Face serums contain collagen content, due to which you will see an improvement in the texture of your skin. Your skin will start looking more beautiful and healthier than ever.
Regular use of the serum will reduce the dark spots on your skin and if there are spots of years old pimples then they also start reducing gradually.
If you have open pores on your skin, then they will get reduced, along with blackheads, and whiteheads will also start decreasing.
If there is swelling under your eyes, then regular use of under-eye serum has the ability to reduce it.
Frequently Asked Questions – (FAQ)
- Can we use the serum daily? ( Can we use face serum daily?)
Serum should be used daily, only then it will show better results. But it is to be kept in mind that it should be used only in very small quantity i.e. 2 drops as it contains active ingredients in concentrated quantity. The result of serum depends on the type of serum. It usually takes 4-6 weeks to see better results.
- Do facial serums really work? ( Do facial serums really work? )
Use of face serum should be started in the late 20s or early 30s. This is because this is the time from which the effect of age starts showing on the face. Adding a face serum to your skin care regimen can improve the quality and protect your skin. After all, the skin is the largest part of our body!
- Are hair serum and face serum the same thing? (Are Hair Serum and Face Serum Same?)
Hair serum and face serum are two different things. Hair Serum adds shine to the hair by adding a protective layer to the hair and prevents it from getting tangled. On the other hand, face serum brings the skin to an even tone and removes dark spots, fine lines and wrinkles.
- Are face serum and beauty oil two different names for the same thing? (Are Serums and Beauty Oils the Same?)
The serum is water-based and contains potent ingredients, which penetrate deep into the skin. On the other hand, face oil works on the surface of the skin to retain moisture in the skin. The texture of face oil is thick and oily. It also takes time to penetrate deep into the skin. Face oils are generally meant for dry skin. However, there are also many face oils that are non-comedogenic and can be used for oily skin as well.
Serum is a light weight moisturizer, which moisturizes your skin, hence it can also be called as lightweight moisturizer. To give your skin more hydration, you should also use a barrier repair moisturizer along with a face serum.